If you’re a gamer, playing at night when everyone’s asleep or you’re your roommate is studying can be a big issue. But there’s just one simple solution for that. You want to get a headset that allows you to play without bothering anyone, and at the same time enable you to chat with teammates. And if you want decent game sound, clear chat, and effortless setup for your Xbox gaming, you need the [easyazon_link asin=”B002KSPL36″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach X31[/easyazon_link]. I hope you find my Turtle Beach X31 review resourceful!
Features of the Turtle Beach X31
The X31 for the Xbox 360 costs about $97 and these are what you get for your money:
- It uses 2.4GHz Wireless Digital RF Technology that gives you CD-quality sound without requiring line of sight.
- There are separate volume controls for your chat and game volumes, so you can set them up as you like them.
- The Chat Boost feature automatically boosts the chat volume when game sounds are loud so that you don’t have to wonder what your teammates are saying when grenades explode and machineguns are being fired.
- The Digital Signal Processor offers a “wider” sound field through the 40mm speakers, which makes for a fuller sound than standard stereo.
- The bass is enhanced so that you can enjoy deeper richer bass tones. That gives the sound of gunfire and explosions a fuller impact.
- There’s a mic monitoring feature that lets you hear your own voice through the speakers. That ought to dispel the feeling that your ears are clogged, and also prevent you from talking too loud and waking up the rest of the household.
- You can use standard AAA Alkaline batteries and the X31’s “battery booster” circuit will extend the lifespan to 25 straight hours of gameplay. But you can use rechargeable batteries too.
Pros and Cons of the Turtle Beach X31
Everything you need in a gaming headset is right here in the [easyazon_link asin=”B002KSPL36″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach X31[/easyazon_link]. The sound is crystal clear, and if you have used inferior speakers before you’ll hear game sound that you’ve never heard before. The unit is comfy, and it’s easy to set and use. It’s ideal for easy and extended gameplay.
Now let’s discuss the various complaints about this product. Perhaps the most pervasive is the issue of the crackle (static). There are a handful complaints of this nature, and this may prove disquieting for some potential buyers. But these complaints actually serve as evidence that some people would rather complain than read the darn manual!
It says right there on the manual that this will be an issue if you don’t place the RF receiver away from anything electrical. Just read the instructions on proper placement, and you’ll be fine.
But there’s another common issue, and unfortunately this one is pretty legitimate. This is the issue of build quality. What you have to remember is that the X31 came out in 2009 released by turtle beach, and that means some sellers are offering used or refurbished headsets. So it’s possible that you’ll get some very old headsets, and the warranty won’t apply anymore. You need to make sure that what you are buying is brand new so that you can really enjoy the headset.
There’s one final issue to address, and this one is a deal-breaker. There is a newer version of the [easyazon_link asin=”B002KSPL36″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach X31[/easyazon_link], and it’s called the X32. And guess what, it’s even cheaper.
All in all, what you need to do is to look up the X31 and see if its features are more than sufficient for you—and if you can get it brand-new. If not, then the utter simplicity of the X32 may be more to your liking. You get accurate stereo sound quality, it’s comfortable to wear for hours, and the price isn’t half bad.