A wireless headset with Dolby Surround for less than $100.
Is that even possible?
It does sound too good to be true, but we’re not kidding. Although the list price for the Turtle Beach X42 is $160, you can find online deals that will enable you to buy it for just $100. And when you consider what you get with the [easyazon_link asin=”B006W41W3M” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach X42 [/easyazon_link], it’s a real treat when you use it while playing your Xbox 360. I hope you will find my Turtle Beach X42 review enjoyable!
Specs and Features
There are many fine stereo headsets around these days, and they’re great for playing most games as well as for watching movies, listening to music, and Skype sessions. But for FPS games, stereo simply won’t suffice. You need an accurate sense of where the sound of footsteps is coming from so that you can turn the right way when someone is trying to sneak up on you.
And that’s what you get with this headset. But Turtle Beach can offer you more!
- You get a 5.1 virtual surround sound system which gives you 360-degree audio. It uses 50mm speakers. There are six preset speaker setups you can choose from, along with preset EQ settings.
- The dual band Wi-Fi alternates from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz and that should take care of the interference that’s very common in wireless headsets. The supposed limit is 10 meters, which should be more than sufficient for gaming.
- The microphone is removable, but when you use it you’ll have to use a cable to connect to your Xbox controller. The mic’s cable has the inline volume and mute control button.
- It uses dynamic chat boost, which automatically increases the chat volume you hear when loud explosions are going on. It also uses a microphone monitor, so you can hear yourself when you speak into the mike.
- It runs on regular AAA batteries.
- It can be used for the Xbox one, but additional cable purchases are necessary.
Pros and Cons
Unlike other wireless headsets out there, the wireless features of the [easyazon_link asin=”B006W41W3M” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach X42 [/easyazon_link] are easy and faultless. The setup is extremely simple. While there is a pairing button you can use, it’s not actually necessary. Turning on the headset automatically pairs it with the transmitter. Once activated, the audio is actually free from interference, especially when you take care not to go beyond the 10 meter limit. There’s no buzz or distraction at all.
For music appreciation and movie watching, the [easyazon_link asin=”B006W41W3M” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach X42 [/easyazon_link] works well. But its gameplay capabilities are actually impressive too. You’ll actually be able to tell where the sound is coming from. While it’s not a true 5.1 system, it’s the next best thing (especially at this price range).
The sound is truly crisp and clear, but for best results you’ll need to choose the right EQ setting for you. There are also some speaker setups you have to deal with. All of these things will require some testing on your part.
The mic is also great, as it makes your voice loud and clear. The earcups are comfortable, and it blocks out a lot of outside noise.
So what’s wrong with this one? Actually, your biggest complaint will likely be about this nonsense regarding AA batteries. Even though the battery life is quite long, it’s still a pain to have to change batteries on a regular basis. You’ll have to buy rechargeable ones to get a better gaming experience, but then you’ll also need your own charger.
Also, the “wireless” here is only for listening to sounds. When it’s time to rock that FPS game, your mic will need a wire to function. The X42 can also accept an analog audio connection, but again you’ll need to buy wires. But at least when you’re watching your Blu-ray movies, you can ignore those pesky wires.
With the X42, you will have no problems with the setup; you’ll have a reliable wireless audio, and excellent mic features. Get it now, and stop using those cheap headsets. The Turtle Beach X42 isn’t expensive and yet its features are quite good so you might as well take advantage of it.