The [easyazon_link asin=”B005EOOT90″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach XL1[/easyazon_link] is an entry level Turtle Beach headset for the Xbox 360. The price is a very clear indicator of this (it costs around $40 or so). But this is probably the only indicator that it’s “entry level”. Because if truth be told, the XL1 is actually a very good headset in terms of sound quality and comfort level. I hope you will find my Turtle Beach XL1 review enjoyable!
Features of the Turtle Beach XL1
The [easyazon_link asin=”B005EOOT90″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach XL1[/easyazon_link] comes mostly in black with green highlights. It looks a bit dull, but you don’t buy gaming headsets for the looks, right? Here are its more important features:
- This is designed specifically for the Xbox 360.
- The stereo sound is amplified for superior quality. Now you can actually hear sound cues in the game that can warn you of incoming danger, such as the sound of approaching footsteps and of guns being loaded from a distance away.
These are the sounds often missed by conventional speakers. With the Turtle Beach XL1, you hear the game sounds the way the game developers meant you to hear them.
- It uses larger 50mm speakers in place of the typical 40mm speakers. This makes for a fuller sound quality with crisper highs and mids.
- The bass is enhanced as well, so that the rumbling lows are clear and satisfactory.
- You can control the game and chat sounds independently, so you can balance these sounds according to your preference.
- It comes with a microphone monitor so you hear your own voice over the headset speakers. This prevents you from inadvertently screaming over the mic.
- You can plug in your mp3 player or smartphone to replace the game soundtrack with your own playing list.
Pros and Cons
There are a lot of great things about the [easyazon_link asin=”B005EOOT90″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”vicdor-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Turtle Beach XL1[/easyazon_link], which is surprising when you think about how cheap it is. First of all, the sound is great. You can really hear the subtle sound cues that most conventional speakers can’t pick up. Suddenly you’ll find yourself lasting longer in fps games because you can hear warning sounds that you didn’t hear before. It allows you to react much more quickly to impending danger. While it won’t match the quality of a hundred-dollar gaming headset, it’s still good enough for game play.
It’s also very comfortable to wear. It is light, the padding is cushy enough, and you can play for several hours straight without needing some relief. For those with larger ears though, you may want to try this out in your local retail store to see if it sits comfortably on your head.
The build quality is also decent. It’s not flimsy per se, but you should perhaps take care of it—don’t throw it on the floor when you get shot in your games.
Perhaps the only annoying thing about the Turtle Beach XL1 is that the wires can be very confusing for some people. The instructions may not be clear enough for some folks, and admittedly the wires are not labeled as to which end goes to which slot. You may want to make sure you know how to set this up so you don’t get frustrated.
The Turtle Beach XL1 by Turtle Beach is probably among the best entry-level headsets for the Xbox in the market today. At this price, it’s very difficult to beat. Just make sure you figure out how to set it up, and you can enjoy the game more. Your enjoyment isn’t just because of the quality of the game sound or about the ability to chat, but also because you know you paid a great price for a high quality headset.