The Turtle Beach XP400 is a very good example of why so many people still buy from this brand. If you’re a gamer, you must have stumbled upon a few negative complaints. But the folks at Turtle Beach seem to have listened, because the Turtle Beach XP400 is actually one truly exceptional gaming headset. I hope you will find my Turtle Beach XP400 review informative!
Features of the Turtle Beach XP400
The XP400 has many features you’ll love, but for the main part it boasts of having the ability to provide surround sound that will help you play your favorite games better and in greater comfort. Its main features include:
- Compatibility with the PS3 and Xbox 360
- Premium 360-degree Dolby surround sound with adjustable speaker angles
- 4 EQ settings which include, normal, bass boost, treble boost, and treble & bass boost
- Dual-band Wi-Fi for a reliable wireless connection free from interference
- Wireless chat as you don’t need chat cables for both PSN Chat and Xbox LIVE
- Detachable mic
- You can plug your phone while gaming and you’ll never miss a call
- The dynamic chat boost increases chat volume during when the game features loud booming noises
- The blast limiter reduces loud explosions and boosts integral ambient game sounds such as footsteps
- Built-in battery that lasts for up to 15 hours (10 hours at least for regular gameplay)
- One-touch control for chat mute
- Wired or wireless connection to the Xbox controller, with the use of plug-in port or Bluetooth adapter
Pros and Cons
Perhaps the most important reason why so many people love this headset is that the surround sound feature is extremely effective. You don’t just get an accurate idea of the direction of the game sound. You also get a sense of how far away the source of the noise is. Far-away footsteps do sound far away, and when the fighting is close the sound over the earcups are immediate and close.
The sound quality is in itself quite nice, especially when you use the treble & bass boost. All in all, you really do get the feeling that you’re in the middle of the action.
The other main reason why people buy the Turtle Beach XP400 is that the chat quality is amazing. The mic picks up what you say, and you can adjust the mic to come near or farther away from your mouth. You’ll be able to talk with your teammates even if you speak quietly, while your whispers and the background noise won’t come through.
The voices of your teammates come in loud and strong, and they feel separate from the game sounds.
The headset is very comfy, and the build quality is quite good. Finally, the wireless feature is awesome—and it’s truly wireless even for chat.
But if you are looking for perfection, then you of course need to look elsewhere. First of all, this headset is somewhat pricey with a list price of $220, although online bargains are available and you can get it for less than $150.
Another difficulty you should expect will come with the setup. This is par for the course for most wireless gaming headsets, and unfortunately the XP400 by Turtle Beach is not an exception. This isn’t plug & play at all, and the box instructions seem a little bit too optimistic. You may have to spend an hour fiddling with it before the headset pairs with the transmitter on the PS3 and the Xbox 360.
Finally, planned obsolescence is going to be a problem too. That’s because the rechargeable battery is built in, and in two years or so they will need to be replaced. Since you won’t be able to do it yourself, you’ll either have to buy a brand new headset or send the XP400 to replace the battery for you for a fee.
Once you get it to work, the Turtle Beach XP400 is actually a peachy unit for your gaming. The sound is very clear and crisp, with no significant distortions. Once you find the right EQ settings that work for you, it’s going to be an absolute blast. The surround sound aspect truly works too.
The chat is very reliable and the reception is very clear. Basically, despite the rather high price tag you actually get a lot for your money. It’s a truly exceptional game and chat accessory, with many cool features that makes this headset worth buying.